
By Tsvetana Paraskova – May 16, 2026, 4:00 PM CDT
- Energy companies are racing into Argentina’s Vaca Muerta shale basin as the Middle East crisis and Hormuz disruptions push producers toward safer, non-conflict supply regions.
- Argentina’s shale play is rapidly expanding, with oil output above 800,000 bpd and expected to surpass 1 million bpd by the end of the decade.
- Analysts say Vaca Muerta is emerging as the world’s leading non-U.S. shale opportunity, attracting global players like Continental Resources thanks to strong geology.
Local and international energy companies are vying for additional exploration blocks in Argentina’s Vaca Muerta shale basin as the Middle East crisis and the blocked Strait of Hormuz are reigniting a global race to tap resources outside conflict zones.
What was a predominantly U.S. business until a few years ago, shale exploration and production is now gaining momentum outside North America. And Argentina’s Vaca Muerta is top of the list of oil and gas companies, including U.S. shale giants, as a de-risked basin with proven geology that’s far away from having to rely on the Strait of Hormuz or any other corridor in the Middle East to ship barrels out.
Interest in the new licensing round for 15 blocks in Vaca Muerta—the biggest auction in the basin in a decade—is expected to be high as the U.S. shale boom goes global and energy companies are shifting their bets from conflict zones to safer jurisdictions, analysts say.
Vaca Muerta—Spanish for ‘dead cow’—has been dubbed the Argentinian Permian, although its geologic properties have been compared more appropriately to the Eagle Ford.
The shale play is estimated to hold recoverable resources consisting of 16 billion barrels of oil and 308 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. Those numbers make the Vaca Muerta the world’s second-largest shale gas deposit and the fourth-biggest shale oil resource.
After a slow start earlier this decade, Vaca Muerta is now booming, with crude oil production increasing by about 16% from last year, and now topping 800,000 barrels per day (bpd). By the end of the decade, and possibly sooner, the Argentinian shale play will be able to deliver 1 million bpd of crude oil, as well as a lot of natural gas, industry and analysts say.
Vaca Muerta has already made Argentina the fourth-largest oil producer in Latin America—a position that may improve in the future as the government prioritizes the development of the local energy industry, encouraging infrastructure projects aiming to boost the offtake capacity of the Vaca Muerta.
U.S. shale giant Continental Resources, the company founded by Harold Hamm, earlier this year doubled down on its shale expansion outside the U.S. with an acquisition of stakes in four Vaca Muerta blocks.
“Vaca Muerta is one of the most compelling shale plays in the world, and we’re thrilled to continue to invest in Argentina and build Continental’s position through this agreement with Pan American Energy,” Continental Resources president and CEO Doug Lawler said in January.
“We take a long-term view of resource development, regardless of geography. As I like to say, ‘The rock doesn’t know what country it’s in.’”
The prospects for Vaca Muerta look bright for the coming years, especially as the Neuquén province launches the biggest licensing round in the shale play in a decade, offering 15 blocks up for grabs—more than double the number of blocks in the previous auction.
Amid the global oil supply shock this year, Vaca Muerta tops the shortlist of regions where the next generation of reliable barrels will come from, analysts at Rystad Energy said this week.
The Argentinian shale play is already outperforming U.S. plays such as the Permian, Bakken, and Eagle Ford on well productivity measures, Rystad Energy reckons, and expects crude production from Vaca Muerta to top 1 million bpd by the end of the decade.
“Argentina is offering international companies their best organic entry point into Vaca Muerta in a decade,” Jai Singh, Head of US Oil & Gas Research at Rystad Energy, said, referring to the bid round of 2026.
“The basin is maturing fast, infrastructure is being built at pace, and the bid terms are designed to attract operators who can bring North American shale expertise to bear.”
According to Singh, “This bid round is the moment that the world’s most important non-US shale play formally invites the world in.”
By Tsvetana Paraskova for Oilprice.com
More Top Reads From Oilprice.com
- India’s Wholesale Inflation Hits 3.5-Year High as Fuel Costs Surge 25%
- China Still Cautious on Fuel Shipments Despite Eased Export Rules
- Sinopec Opens Major Ultra-Deep Shale Gas Play in China
![]()
Tsvetana Paraskova
Tsvetana is a writer for Oilprice.com with over a decade of experience writing for news outlets such as iNVEZZ and SeeNews.




